Ferroelectric Liquid Crystals
Alignment of Nano-structures
He received his Ph.D. degree in 2009 from the University of Lucknow, Lucknow. Thereafter he joined the Optics Department of Telecom Bretagne, France as a post-doctoral fellow where he worked on active liquid crystals shutters for 3D cinema, liquid crystal composites and their electro-optical application. In 2009 he has been awarded by the young scientist fast track fellowship from the Department of Science and Technology of the Gov. of India. He has been awarded by ILCS Early-Career Award: The Michi Nakata Prize for his early career efforts in the field of ferroelectric liquid crystals and photo-alignment from International Liquid Crystal Society. Furthermore, his research efforts have also been recognized by many societies worldwide. His current research interest includes alignment of nano-materials and photo-aligned ferroelectric liquid crystals for advanced displays and photonic devices. He has published 102 research papers and holds 19 patents/patent applications.
Selected Recent Publications
- A. K. Srivastava, X. Wang, S. Q. Gong, D. Shen, Y. Q. Lu, V.d G. Chigrinov and H. S. Kwok “Micro-Patterned Photo-Aligned Ferroelectric Liquid Crystal Fresnel Zone Lens”, Accepted, Optics Letters, 2015.
- Abhishek Kumar Srivastava, Vladimir Chigrinov and Hoi-Sing Kwok, “Photo-aligned ferroelectric liquid crystals for modern photonics, SPIE news room Article”, 2014. DOI: 10.1117/2.1201412.005595
- J. Sun, A. K. Srivastava, W. Zhang, L. Wang, V. G. Chigrinov, and H. S. Kwok, “Optically Rewritable 3D Liquid Crystals Displays”, Optics Letters, 39, No.21, 6209-6212, 2014.
- Daniel Budaszewski, A. K. Srivastava, A. M. W. Tam, Tomasz R. Wolinski, Vladimir G. Chigrinov, Hoi-Sing Kwok, “Photo-aligned ferroelectric liquid crystals micro Channels”, Optics Letters, 39, No. 16, 4679, 2014.
- H. S. Chen, Y. H. Lin, A. K. Srivastava, V. G. Chigrinov, C. M. Chang, and Y. J. Wang, “A bi-stable negative lens by integrating a polarization switch of ferroelectric liquid crystals with a passively anisotropic focusing element”, Optics Express,22, 11, 13138, 2014.
- Qi Guo, A. K. Srivastava, V. G. Chigrinov, and H. S. Kwok, “Polymer and azo dye composite: a photo-alignment layer for liquid crystals, Liquid crystals, 41, No. 10, 1465, 2014.
- E. P. Pozhidaev, A. K. Srivastava, A.D. Kiselev, V. G. Chigrinov, V. V. Vashchenko, A. I. Krivoshey, M. V. Minchenko, and H. S Kwok, “Enhanced orientational Kerr effect in vertically aligned deformed helix ferroelectric liquid crystals”, Optics letters, 39, No. 10, 2900, 2014.
- F. Fan, A. K. Srivastava, T. Du, M. C. Tseng, V. G. Chigrinov, H. S. Kwok, “Low Voltage Tunable Liquid Crystal Lens”, Optics letters, 38, 20, 4116, 2013.
- E. P. Pozhidaev, A. D. Kiselev, A. K. Srivastava, V. G. Chigrinov, H. S. Kwok and M. V. Minchenko, “Orientational Kerr effect and phase modulation of light in deformed-helix ferroelectric liquid crystals with subwavelength pitch”, Phys. Rev. E, 87, 052502, 2013.
- J. Sun, A. K. Srivastava, Lu Wang, V. G. Chigrinov, H. S. Kwok, “Optically Tunable and Re-Writable Diffraction Grating with Photo-Aligned Liquid Crystals”, Optics letters, 38, No. 13, 2342, 2013.
- E. A. Shteyner, A. K. Srivastava, V. G. Chigrinov, H. S. Kwok and A. D. Afanasyev “Submicron-scale liquid crystal photo-alignment”, Soft Mat., 9, 5160, 2013.
- X. Wang, A. K. Srivastava, Vladimir G. Chigrinov, Hoi Sing Kwok, “Switchable Fresnel Lens Based on Micro-Patterned Alignment”, Optics letters, Vol. 38, No. 11,. 1775, 2013.
- A. K. Srivastava, Wei Hu, V. G. Chigrinov, Alexei D. Kiselev and Yan-Qing Lu, “Fast Ferroelectric liquid crystal grating based on orthogonal photo alignments”, Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 101, 031112, 2012.
- Wei Hu, A. K. Srivastava, Xiao Liang, Xiao-Wen Lin, Jia-Tong Sun, Ge Zhu, Vladimir Chigrinov and Yan-Qing Lu, “Polarization independent liquid crystal gratings based on orthogonal photo alignments”, Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 100, 111116, 2012.
- F. Fan, A. K. Srivastava, V. G. Chigrinov and H. S. Kwok, “Switchable Grating with Sub Millisecond Response”, Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 100, 111105, 2012.
1. Awarded by MICHI NAKATA PRIZE -2014 for the outstanding early career achievement in the field of liquid crystal by the International Liquid Crystal Society, USA.
2. The highly sensitive optically rewritable (ORW) technology, a new type 3D E-paper was introduced in OSA web page:
i. Covered by many other forums with an interview of Dr. A. K. Srivastava. Few of them are listed below.
ii. Optical society of America.
iii. Liquid crystals today.
v. Summacumlatte wordpress
vi. It became the second best downloaded paper after the article won Nobel price 2014.
3. A novel generation of ferroelectric LCD with fast response time and high resolution used for new green low power LCD was proposed. The developed field sequential color display technology was recognized worldwide. Few of them are listed below.
1. Covered by Display week 2013, Vancouver and offered a place in innovative zone to show the demo together with 17 other participants including 16 industries.
2. Covered by the SPIE News Room. http://www.ee.ust.hk/ece.php/enews/detail/511
4. Distinguished paper, L. Shi and Y. Ma, A Srivastava, V. Chigrinov and H. S. Kwok, “Field-Sequential-Color Displays Based on Reflective Electrically Suppressed Helix Ferroelectric Liquid Crystal”, Display week 2015, San Jose, USA
5. The ferroelectric liquid crystal grating has been demonstrated for the first time and the technology was appreciated by the International Liquid Crystal Society, 2012 also recognized as the Artist of the Month. http://www.lcinet.kent.edu/ilcs/main/page137/page135/page200/page103/page103.html
6. The article in APL “A. K. Srivastava, E. P. Pozhidaev, V.G. Chigrinov and R. Manohar “Single Walled Carbon Nano-tube, Ferroelectric Liquid Crystal Composites: Excellent Diffractive Tool”, Appl. Phys. Lett, Vol. 99, 201106, 2011.” On the ferroelectric liquid crystals grating has been downloaded more than 5000 time.