Emma MacPherson (nee Pickwell) studied Natural Sciences at Cambridge University followed by an MSci in Physics where she specialised in Semiconductor Physics. After Cambridge, she worked on optical packet switching at BT labs, Martlesham, UK. In February 2002 she started working as a research assistant at TeraView Ltd, a company specialising in terahertz imaging which had spun out of Toshiba in 2001. She started her PhD with the Semiconductor Physics Group at Cambridge University and TeraView Ltd in October 2002. Her PhD thesis was entitled, "Biological applications of terahertz pulsed imaging and spectroscopy" - her PhD work focused on understanding contrast mechanisms in terahertz images of skin cancer. Having completed her thesis in 2005, she worked for TeraView Ltd as a Medical Scientist until moving to Hong Kong in 2006. Emma MacPherson set up a terahertz laboratory at the Department of Electronic Enginering, CUHK during her post between 2006 and 2009 as an assistant professor. She joined HKUST in September 2009 where she will pursue her terahertz related research and expand her team.
Five representative publications from 2009
1. The Effects of Formalin Fixing on Terahertz Image Contrast, YW Sun, B M Fischer, E Pickwell-MacPherson, J. Biomedical Optics, vol. 14, issue 6, p. 064017, (Dec 2009).
2. Terahertz Pulsed Imaging – a potential medical imaging modality?, E Pickwell-MacPherson and V P Wallace, Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy, Volume 6, Issue 2, Pages 128-134 (Sept 2009).
3. Ex vivo study of breast cancer using terahertz pulsed spectroscopy, Philip C. Ashworth, Emma Pickwell-MacPherson, Sarah E. Pinder, Elena Provenzano, Anand D. Purushotham, Michael Pepper and Vincent P. Wallace, Optics Express, Vol 17, Issue 15, pp 12444-54 (July 2009).
4. Improved sample characterization in terahertz reflection imaging and spectroscopy, Shenyang Huang, Philip C. Ashworth, Kanis Wai Chi Kan, Chen Yang, Vincent P. Wallace, Yuan-ting Zhang and Emma Pickwell-MacPherson, Optics Express,Vol. 17 Issue 5, pp.3848-3854 (Jan 2009).
5. Tissue characterization using terahertz pulsed imaging in reflection geometry, S Y Huang, Y X Wang, K W Yeung, A T Ahuja, Y-T Zhang and E Pickwell-MacPherson, Phys. Med. Biol. 54 (Jan 2009) 149–160.
Please contact me on the above email address if you are interested to do a PhD in terahertz imaging. There is a scholarship available for PhD study in Hong Kong - please see http://www.ust.hk/hkpfs/
for further information.